Early Education provides the Secretariat to the APPG on nursery schools, nursery and reception classes.
You can also follow @APPG_Nursery on Twitter for updates.
Chair: Lucy Powell MP
Vice-Chair: William Wragg MP
Secretary: Jack Dromey MP
Treasurer: Steve Brine MP
Latest news and campaign updates
- Maintained nursery schools national campaign: online public meeting - 30 June, 5-6pm View flyer Register here
- Write to your MP - download a template letter to adapt
- Read our letter to the Prime Minister
- APPG officers' letter to the Chancellor re nursery school funding
- Minutes of the AGM, 5 February 2020
- Briefing on maintained nursery schools funding
- Letter to Nick Gibb from Early Education, NAHT and NEU and response from Nick Gibb
- Letter to the Chancellor from headteachers and chairs of governors - view text and sign now
- Queen's speech briefing for MPs
- 17 October - Lancashire nursery schools' summit and lobby
- Sign the School Cuts petition to Save Our Nursery Schools Now
- Download a campaign pack
- Campaign pack, June 2019
- National launch of the joint campaign with partners including NAHT and NEU as well as Early Education and the NAHT, Birmingham, 21 June - flyer (PDF); sign up to attend
18 April 2019: Latest campaign resources:
- Write to candidates in the local elections - download sample letter to local council candidates
- Write to thank your MP for supporting our campaign, or if they haven't yet been involved write to let them know about the campaign and how they can support it - download sample letters to MPs
31 January 2019: Watch the Backbench Business Committee debate on maintained nursery schools. Download our briefing on the national funding position and the House of Commons Library briefing.
19 October 2018: Read our pre-budget briefing for MPs and a report out today from seven Yorkshire and Lincolnshire maintained nursery schools on the "hidden benefits" of maintained nursery schools.
21 September 2018: A letter to Nadhim Zahawi and Liz Truss about funding for maintained nursery schools has been signed by a cross party group of 75 MPs - read the letter, read coverage in the Observer and the Independent and the response from Nadhim Zahawi.
Provisional date for next APPG meeting: 4pm on Monday 2 March 2020
Please note for the diary that we are hoping to hold the next meeting of the APPG on Monday 2 March at 4pm. This will be confirmed once speaker availability is known, and we will then send out details of how to book.
If you'd like to be added to the mailing list, please login (or create a free account), and tick "I wish to receive emails about Early Education campaigns" in the Subscriptions section of your account - or email us. Future meeting dates will be posted here in due course.
Papers from past meetings
March and Rally, joint with NAHT, 11 March 2019
Papers from the meeting on Wednesday 21 November 2018
- Summary of meeting
- Letter to Nadhim Zahawi following the meeting
- Briefing on funding issues
- "What has our nursery school done for your child and family?" - a selection of comments from parents and carers
Papers from the meeting on Wednesday 4 July 2018
- Summary of the meeting
- Campaign pack
- Sample letter to MP
- Briefing on Maintained Nursery School funding
- Results of APPG survey on Maintained Nursery School funding
- Parent comment form - "How has our nursery school helped your child and family?"
- MPs joint letter to Nadhim Zahawi and Liz Truss
Papers from the meeting on Tuesday 24 April 2018
- Chair's briefing
- Briefing on the Treasury Select Committee report on childcare
- Summary of the meeting
- Workforce presentation from Jane Payler
- NAHT report on the 30 hours
- Presentation from pre-meeting event on federation and contractual collaboration
Papers from the meeting on 16 January 2018
- Summary of the meeting (PDF)
Papers from the meeting on Tuesday 10 October 2017
- Statement from the Minister, Robert Goodwill MP
- Presentation by Steve Wyler
- The Sutton Trust's report "Closing gaps early" by Kitty Stewart and Ludovica Gambaro
- Lesley Curtis's presentation on Nursery School Teaching Schools
- Julian Grenier's paper "Collaborative quality improvement: the way forward for England's maintained nursery schools?"
Papers from previous APPG meetings
- Speech from Barbara Riddell on 27 June 2017
- Paper on academisation presented on 27 June 2017
- Briefing 24 January 2017
- Briefing November 2016
- Press release July 2016
- Briefing note from BWB on legal structures
- Press release May 2016
- Summary of meeting March 2016
A report from seven Yorkshire and Lincolnshire maintained nursery schools on the "hidden benefits" of maintained nursery schools.
Hidden Value: A report exploring the role and future of maintained nursery schools in London, London Councils, September 2018
State of the nation 2016: social mobility in Great Britain - report of the Social Mobility Commission, including commentary on the value of maintained nursery schools in supporting social mobility
Government plans will reallocate nursery funding from poorer to richer children – and no one seems to notice - blog by Kitty Stewart and Ludovica Gambaro