The DfE's consultation on the proposed changes to the EYFS runs until 31 January 2020. We believe that the proposals are problematic and need significant further changes to ensure the revised EYFS is an improvement on the current version rather than a backward step.
Please read our draft response to the consultation
What else to read to inform your response to the consultationOur concerns are shared by the main early years sector bodies, which came together as a coalition to communicate the sector's views to government - read response from the EYFS sector coalition
- the survey of practitioners' views on the changes to the EYFS Mapping the landscape: practitioners views on the Early Years Foundation Stage or the summary of initial headlines from the practitioner survey
- the coalition's research review: Getting it right in the Early Years Foundation Stage: a review of the evidence
Watch the video of the launch event on the PACEY website.
Foundation Years have provided a summary of key points.
The Education Endowment Foundation have published the findings from the evaluation of the pilot of last summer's draft revised ELGs, which ran in 23 schools in 2018-19.
Watch the Early Years Alliance webinar with Michael Freeston and Beatrice Merrick talking about the key points in the consultaiton.
For an informed view about what should be included in the early learning goals for mathematics
- read the Early Childhood Maths Group's response to the consultation
- download this paper from the Early Childhood Maths Group
- read Sue Gifford's blogs on The case for space in the early years and Consultation on the ELGs: are thie new reforms based on research?
Support our campaign
If you share our concerns about the changes to the EYFS, sign up as a supporter of Early Education for free or for a small donation, to be kept up to date with our campaigns and to show government how many practitioners we speak for. The more supporters we have, the greater our influence.