This one day course will look in depth at the process of observation (describing), assessment (deciding) and planning (what next?) using the EYFS statutory framework, Development Matters and the EYFSP. We will consider meaningful ways to observe children’s development and thinking, make links to the Characteristics of Learning and the Areas of Learning and consider how we make accurate and informed judgements about children’s progress. Both Ofsted and the STA have endorsed the key messages in this training.
During the day we look at:
- The process of observation, assessment and mapping children’s progress
- The statutory requirements of the EYFS and EYFSP
- Responsible pedagogy (EYFSP) – including the Characteristics of Learning and Child-initiated play and learning
- Making informed judgements about children’s progress
- How we can use our observations to map children’s progress across the Foundation Stage
- Sharing our thinking and reflecting on our pedagogy and practice
This training is particularly suitable for Reception Class teachers, Assessment Co-Ordinators, Head Teachers and Managers who want to know and understand the fundamental philosophy of assessment in the context of statutory requirements. It can also be delivered for all practitioners and teachers who work in the Early Years Foundation Stage to support their understanding of mapping children’s progress.
Trainer: Di Chilvers